Hair Transplantation surgery incorporates a range of transplant techniques to restore hair fullness. Transplant techniques, such as punch grafts, mini-grafts, micro-grafts, slit grafts, and strip grafts are generally performed on patients who desire a more modest change in hair fullness. Flaps, tissue-expansion and scalp-reduction are procedures that are usually more appropriate for patients who desire a more dramatic change. Sometimes, two or more techniques are used to achieve the best results.All hair replacement techniques use existing hair to achieve the optimal outcome. Grafts and flaps with healthy hair growth are taken from a donor area and relocated to a bald or thinning area. The result is hair growth in a previously affected area.
Hair Transplantation surgery is an individualized procedure and may not be suitable for everyone. Always talk to your Specialist Plastic Surgeon before making a decision. Your surgeon will assess your condition and general health, and plan the treatment that is best suited to you.
Before you decide to undergo hair replacement surgery, there are a few things you should keep in mind:
- Hair Transplantation surgery candidates must have healthy hair growth at the back and sides of the head to serve as donor areas
- Hair colour, texture and waviness or curliness may affect the cosmetic result
- It is important to understand that you will never have the coverage you had prior to your hair loss, but surgery may camouflage the thin areas and give you more fullness
Hair Transplantation surgery may be a good option for you if:
- You are physically healthy and you do not have medical conditions that can impair healing or increase risk of surgery
- You have healthy hair growth at the back and sides of the head to serve as donor areas
- You have realistic expectations of what surgery can accomplish
- You are a non-smoker or have stopped smoking
For more information on plastic surgery and the procedures we offer, please schedule a consultation and visit our practice.